Saturday, August 27, 2016

Our Baby Boy is Here

I had my weekly doctors appointment on Monday the 8th. She checked me and let me know I was only 3cm dilated. The week before that I was 2 1/2cm so not much had changed. I was now 40 weeks and 4 days so I felt more then ready for this little guy. The doctor asked what I was thinking and I let out a big "lets induce!"
I really never wanted it to come to this but there were certain things that were needing to speed up the process of this baby coming. The Dr. told me that she had an opening tomorrow (Tues). 
OK, that sounds good, I told her! 
I got to the hospital around 4:30 am Tuesday morning. 
They hooked me up to all the lovely things that come with being in the hospital...all the needles and such. Being Group B positive I started the first bag of Penicillin.
Let me just point out what I think is the worst thing ever...that makes birth even more uncomfortable is the needle in your hand and the blood pressure monitor that is squeezing your arm every 3 minutes (especially when your are trying to focus on pushing a watermelon out of yourself).
Anyways.... Once Mike and Emma got me settled in the hospital bed, they left to go eat breakfast and play a while before it was time to for me to start pushing. He needed to still drop her off at my friends house before heading back to the hospital so the plan was around 10 am he would be back to be with me and Charlie would be here around 12 pm.
With the Pitocin starting I couldn't believe how fast the contractions started. They were intense! I got a Epidural and started to feel somewhat better. I wish I could be that person that does it all natural but it just wasn't in my mindset. 
So, I texted Mike and told him he needs to come now. I felt like things were going way faster then what we thought and he needed to hurry. 
The Dr. finally came in around 9:00am and checked me. I was about 6 cm now and she let me know she was going to break my water. 
Everything was just so unbelievably fast!!!
Mike finally got there.
Now, I don't want to keep focusing on the one thing that made me upset with my experience but it made a huge impact on why Charlie was born at 10:18 am and not around noon like we thought.
I had mentioned to my Dr. that with Emma's birth, when the Dr. broke my water Emma's heartbeat stopped. We struggled to get it back and it was a good few minutes (felt like hours) till we heard it again. The nurse assured me that that wouldn't happen this time and there was nothing to worried about.
My Dr. broke my water and then disappeared...with everyone else that was in the room. I am talking absolutely no one else in the room at all except of Mike and myself. And you probably guessed it... no heartbeat.
 Are you kidding me!
I quickly was trying to move around, trying to do everything I did when this happened with Emma. We pressed the nurses button a million times (it felt like). Finally Mike ran down the hall and found my nurse.
She found Charlies internal heartbeat and I felt so much better but I was totally shaken up now.
I didn't understand why everyone left so quickly after I had just told them that there was a problem with my first labor.
The nurse told me to start pushing with the next contraction...which I was having trouble focusing because I just spent what felt like a hour trying to recover my sons heartbeat.
I eventually got myself together and started pushing.
I think I pushed maybe 10 times and he was out.
 Charles David
10:18 am
7 lbs 12 oz
19 3/4 inch.
 My friend dropped Emma off at the hospital..and took a few pictures for us.
First Kiss
 Car ride home
 Meeting his furry sister

Overall it was a good experience. Being induced wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did get nauseous and sick this go around but that comes with all the different things being pumped into me.
Charlie did come out a little bruised. It was such a fast labor that I am not surprised that it wasn't worse then it was.
He also has a ton of peeling skin. Being in my belly for a long period of time that tends to happen. 2 weeks later now he still has some peeling spots but nothing like the first couple days.

It has now been a little over 2 weeks since he was born. We have had 2 doctors appointments and he is doing really well. His discharge weight was 7 lbs 4 oz. and he now weights 8 lbs 9 oz. He eats like a champ! Definitely different them Emma.
Sleeping is pretty normal. He wakes up about 3 times a night to feed. I am pretty tired in the morning but seem to be much better after we all take our afternoon nap.
Emma is still adjusting to her new brother. She is such a stinker so its been a slllow process.

We are so in love with our family of 5. Yes, I do include my dog in that number. This is my last baby so I am taking in all the cuddles I can at this stage.


  1. Congratulations. He is gorgeous.

  2. Hooray!!! what a beautiful boy!!! oh, enjoy your time!! it goes so fast!!

  3. Congratulations! He looks so little in that car seat. And super cute!

  4. He is so so precious! I am so happy for you.

  5. Congratulations! I'm sure Emma will come around soon and warm up to him more eventually. It took my daughter Chloe a while to get used to having a baby in the house as well, especially since they weren't too far apart in age. The first thing she did when she met him in the hospital was hit him in the face. And I was constantly finding her smothering him with a pillow or trying to sit on him whenever I'd put him down for a nap in his playpen.

    1. Oh my goodness! This totally made me laugh out loud. Chloe is so cute! I guess its hard being the oldest...use to all the attention and then having to share. I was the baby so I never had to deal with that. :)

  6. That's awesome! Congratulations!