Friday, March 7, 2014

Emma's Birth

I am so in love!

  It all started around 1am Thursday (Feb 27) morning. Yes, that is 10 days before my actual due date so I wasn't really expecting much. Mike had been getting up extra early lately so I didn't want my usual not being able to sleep effect him, so I made my way downstairs to try to get a little more comfortable.
  The day before, I had felt that I was coming down with a little cold so I contributed the aching in my body to be that. Little did I know a few hours later I would be doing some heavy breathing.
  After about 3 hours of tossing and turning on the couch I made my way back upstairs to jump in the shower and try to sooth what now is cramps that just wont go away. I was a little in denial when Mike asked me if this was it.
  I wanted to stay home as long as I could to try to be a little more comfortable when labor started but things changed when I was positive for GBS. We got in the car and headed to the hospital hoping to get there before my water broke.
  They checked me in to monitor if I was actually having contractions and sure enough, this was it. We had to wait around a little in triage while my room was being prepped. About 5 hours after we first walked into the hospital I was finally taken to the room that I was about to birth my daughter in. All I wanted to do was take a bath and I now had the chance.
  I made the decision that it was now time to get the epidural. I tried to hold out as long as I could thinking I could maybe do this the all natural way....but holy cow! I went a little over 7 hours and that was LONG ENOUGH! To all those amazing women out there that have done it without any drugs...you are a beast!
  Feeling so much better after the beautiful needle that was put so lovely into my spine, I wonder why I waited so long.
  Finally around 8:00 pm, my doctor came in to check me and sure enough she said we should start pushing. She also asked that my epidural be turned down so I could feel more of what I was doing.  Umm... not too much please.
  Now with me not eating anything sense dinner the night before and being sick on top of it, I was really really tired. I felt like I pushed and pushed for hours but nothing was happening. She took matters into her own hands and had to use a little vacuum on poor Emma...but there she was...at 9:33pm, we had a daughter.


OK, so can we just talk about this island having NO wall clocks for sale!  I sent Mike out to go search for one and he came back with a digital alarm clock after he said he went to 3 different stores...and the alarm clock was just not cutting it. 
Putting the time will just have to do.

5 comments:

  1. I bet that was one of the longest days for you ever!!! But what a blessing!!! She's a doll!! I love how you have her laid out with her birth details, so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is amazing! I am so happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad Momma and Baby are doing great and that it was a safe delivery!! How did the pup react to baby Emma?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your birth story! Love the pics! She's so freaking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With my first, i thought my contractions were just cramps too! I had no idea i was in labor! Epidurals are amaaaaazing. I had my daughter without one (not by choice but because my labor progressed so fast), and I was SO traumatized. I was scared to have another baby because of it!!!!!!! I had the epi with my son....I was in heaven!

    ReplyDelete