Saturday, April 5, 2014

Clay Keepsake's- FAIL!

I have been wanting to make Emma's little hand and footprint moulds for awhile now and for some reason I could just never get to the craft store to get what I needed.
I saw this pin on Pintrest and got excited because I didn't need to go to the store for anything...I had everything already in my pantry.
It looked super easy to do too!

  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 2 cups baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • food coloring -i swear i had some but i couldn't find it :(   i was gonna used spray paint
 ~mix together all of your ingredient into a medium sauce pan
 It should look like runny cream
 ~warm the mixture over medium high heat stirring the whole time in till it thickens. (about 10 min)
It should look like mashed potatoes
~spoon mixture onto parchment paper- i'm out of that so i used a plate
~ wet a paper towel and drape over the blob in till it is cooled
~roll out...thin but not too thin 

~press your lil ones piggy's onto clay--I had a huge problem with this.
 (the clay is super soft so its hard to get it perfect with a baby that likes to squirm. i had to do quite a few redo's and mike wasn't there to help)

~turn your oven onto the setting "warm" and pop the clay in
  •  I had another problem with this step. She says in her directions that she baked the clay on a cooling rack. But I found that once you roll out the dough you cant move it because it is so soft. You end up putting marks that you don't want into the clay.  I have no idea how she transferred the soft clay to a cooling rack and then placed in the oven. She must have magical powers.
(What I decided to do was put the clay on a baking sheet, press her tootsies down and bake the clay on the baking sheet till it was dry enough to be able to move. Then I took the clay off the baking sheet and put it straight onto the oven racks. Being very gentle because it is still wet on the bottom. After that I continued to bake)

~it matters how thick your clay is for how long it needs to dry (bake in the oven)
(I ended up baking my clay for 2 1/2 hours then turning off the oven but leaving the clay still in it till the morning)

So with all that done....I now have flaky molds that look messy, are falling apart and have formed bubbles.
No surprise-I of course had to do the puppy's print too.

I have another project in mind that has to do with moulds now that this one failed. I have a feeling its going to have a better outcome because it actually involves glue.


  1. Those are so cute!!
    I have to give this a try.
    Thanks for sharing!!


  2. Good to know. So sad when Pinterest must be busted :)

  3. Bummer that it didn't work!