Thursday, April 17, 2014

Things That Are Working For Me - first time mom

I am NO Expert! 
I have only been a mom for 48 days! 
These are just a couple things that I have found that is working for me in this beginning stage that are not on the "usual" list of baby essentials.
Hopefully at least one of these things can help a first timer like myself.

-Summer Blanket
Its hot in Hawaii!
I'm not complaining, but trying to protect my baby from the elements has been a little tricky. In side my house we have air conditioning, so having a nice warm blanket has been no problem. When we go outside in the 80 degree (or hotter) weather, Emma tends to get a little sweaty if I use the same blankets that we use indoors.
A friend bought me these Summer Blankets.
They are great! First off they are huge so covering the baby/car seat/stroller/ect.. is no problem at all. Its also made out of muslin so it is totally breathable. I highly recommend purchasing these blankets if your in a warm climate or if you enjoy being outside in the summer months.

-Fenugreek
Its a herbal supplement that increases milk supply for breastfeeding.

-Bib Towel
These things are awesome!
 I was recently given this bib to me by Emma's great auntie.
Emma spits up a lot and these work perfectly for fast clean up. These are so easy just to slip over her head right before feeding.

-Happiest Baby on the Block
This was a gift from one of Mikes coworkers. She said she swore by this method and I'm pretty sure she has quite a few kids so she knows what she is talking about.
Following the 5 S's really makes things more relaxed during a screaming fit. 
I highly suggest watching it even if you don't follow all of the steps. Maybe just one or two will work for your baby.

-Music
I want Emma to automatically no, when she hears her music start to play that it is now bed time. We have listened to music since the first day she came home. I'm not sure if its working yet but my hope is in the long run there will be success.

-No Leg Pajamas
I am loving these pajamas during the middle of the night when I am trying to change Emma with one eye open. We still wear the legged pjs also (because they are just too cute) but I think its good to have a couple of these for those really difficult nights.

-Nasal Aspirator
I really didn't think I was going to be using this after we left the hospital...I was wrong.
 Emma has the biggest boogers ever!
and a lot of them too!
She is so fussy when her poor nostrils are pretty much closed.
At first I thought she was coming down with a cold because her breathing was a little forced. Come to find out she had a adult size booger clogging both nostrils.
She was immediately happy after I sucked those nastiest out.
We also use a humidifier at home but that doesn't seem to help with the build up.
She might be just prone to the nose goblins.
We have used this several times now.

-A baby swing
This is a little more common but I wanted to put it out there because I did not buy one of these for Emma before she was born...and I should have.
I bought a bouncy chair and a cradle. Both things vibrate and play music, but...when someone gave me a swing, it was all over after that. She loves it! 
The swing plays different sounds, vibrates, swings back and forth and front to back, has a mirror and a mobile that turns. I once read that baby's are on average only are held only two hours a day, and that's kinda sad to me so I hold her a lot! If I do need to put her down while she is awake I feel so much better about it. She looks around and stares at the fun things above her.
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the blanket link! One of my friends here totally recommends them, and she even uses it as a nursing cover since they're so big. I LOVE the no-leg gowns! I have them in size 0-3 and both of my girls were able to wear them until they were at least a year old since the length didn't really matter.

    ReplyDelete